August 2nd-3rd Trip Day 11-12

At long last, I have arrived at the point in my story where there is singing. Yes, these next two days were the rehearsal days for our choir. There are not many details I can give besides that we did a lot of singing, but I will try to express as much as I can. Overall, it was a very memorable experience. It was definitely different than the experience I had at Carnegie Hall, but, as always, I just tried to soak up as many memories and as much learning as I could. One of the biggest blessings of being part of the Sydney choir was getting to work with Dr. Jefferey Redding. I really enjoyed getting to sing under his direction. His heart for young people and music just pours out of every fiber of his being. I sincerely hope I get the opportunity to work with him again, someday. Our first day of rehearsal started with a sing-through of the whole program before breaking each song down and working on specific parts. By the end of the day, we had torn apart and put back together most of the songs, leaving only a couple and a run-through of all the songs for the next day’s rehearsal. On a side note, my dad arrived in Sydney that day and was at the apartment when I went back for lunch. The whole family was now together to enjoy our last few days in Australia. It is no secret that my life is consumed with music on a daily basis with my singing, teaching, performing, writing, learning, etc., but I had forgotten just how exhausting singing all day could be. When our first day of rehearsal was done, I was quite tired, but my program agenda included a ticket to the Sydney Tower Eye where my family was waiting for me to join them for dinner and a 360 degree view of the city. The Sydney Tower Eye is located in a mall, so I joined my family in the food court where we got dinner and then proceeded to the tower. Standing high above Sydney, we could see in every direction. It was a beautiful sight, but, I confess, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I could have because all I could think about was the work I needed to do on my music and wanting to crawl into my bed. We did stay long enough to get some souvenirs, though. The night ended back in our apartment with a cup of hot chocolate before turning in. The next day was a lot of the same of the day before: a lot of singing, a lot of memories, and a lot of learning. One thing to mention was our impromptu performance in the foyer outside our rehearsal room. I have included a video of it, below. With our rehearsal done, it was time to go on that evening’s outing with the program. This night was our celebratory dinner cruise around Sydney Harbour. Our buses took us to the quay where we got on our boat. We went around Sydney Opera House and under the bridge. It was gorgeous all lit up. The cruise and dinner was very relaxing, and I had a wonderful time. We arrived back from the cruise a little earlier than anticipated, so I made use of my time with a short practice session in my bedroom. It eased my musical anxieties slightly, and so did the hot chocolate my sister made for me before turning in. But, for the first night since arriving in Australia, sleep didn’t come as easily. After all, who could sleep in the face of such a milestone performance the next day. I know I couldn’t.

#travel #emilysaussietrip #australia #singer #soprano #choir

©2020 by Emily E. Finke.