July 28th Trip Day 6

It was a long night of fighting off a cold, but by the time I got up, I knew I had beat it. I was feeling much better than the previous day and was only left with some head congestion (mostly in my sinuses) which would slowly clear up over the next two weeks. I was so relieved because I knew that I would be pretty much back to normal by the time I needed to sing in Sydney. I was also very glad to be feeling better because we had a full day of activities planned, and I did not want to miss out. The day's adventures began with a short train ride to the nearby town of Leura. Once there, we walked 1.25 miles to Gordon Falls/Lookout. The timing of our arrival could not have been more perfect. The sun was positioned just right so as to light up the distant mountains, but not high enough to be hot. There was a slight breeze blowing through the trees, carrying the sound of the nearby waterfall. And best of all.... no one else was around. It was just the three of us, standing in the shade of the eucalyptus trees, on top of a mountain, looking across the sunlit range of mountains, trees, and rainforest as far as the eye could see. It was sheer heaven! I could have stayed there all day, but we had a long hike ahead of us, and we hadn't even begun. Back we trekked from Gordon Lookout to where the trail split into the "Prince Henry Cliff Walk". Thus was our appointed destiny... but not before a quick stop at a restroom (the walk is 3-4 hours, with no restrooms until you get off the trail), and a funny encounter with a flock of Kookaburras which entailed a waiting sister watching in awe and laughter as she listened to the deafening sound of what she can only describe as a pack of hyenas and the other sister startled by the noise that suddenly came from above as the flock landed in a tree directly above the small the restroom. Now we can be off! I will try to make the rest of this brief having gotten the more interesting stories out of the way. It was a long hike, and we were all tired by the end of it, but I am so glad that we did it! It made my last day in the Blue Mountains so memorable. The hike was filled with such wonderful views! Some notable stops along our hike included a rock ledge which I presumed to climb before my mom had a chance to protest (a benefit of being in the lead), breathtaking cascades and waterfalls, an out of place lamp post which the Narnia lover in me had to get a picture with and add to my collection of pictures taken with out of place lamp posts, a wonderfully picturesque spot in the rainforest in a slightly hollowed out part in the side of the mountain with a bench where we ate our lunch (Fernery Cave), and the end of the trail, where we entered Echo Point for a look at the famous "Three Sisters" rock formation. That was more than enough walking for the day, and a bus ride home was on the agenda. I would say end of story, home sweet home, but of course, that is not the case. Just as every other night had ended, our last night in Katoomba would be no different. We made a couple of quick stops at the local organic markets to pick up some snacks for our travels the next day (and obviously, more chocolate), and then we were off to home and hearth for our last meal in our cozy little apartment. Did I mention we had a "fire place" furnace in the living room? A wonderful feature! Our adventure in the Blue Mountains was coming to an end, but a new one was about to begin!

#travel #emilysaussietrip #australia

©2020 by Emily E. Finke.